Unearthing the hidden past in Greenwich Park

21 July 2014


Together with The Royal Parks, English Heritage, and the Friends of Greenwich Park, we're helping to support an archaeological dig in Greenwich Park. This three-year community project incudes a volunteer programme and school workshops.

Old Keeper's Cottage in Greenwich ParkGreenwich Park is the most historic of all London’s Royal Parks but much of this history is lost. In 2010, evidence was unearthed of the remains of Old Keeper’s Cottage, built sometime during the late 16th Century or early 17th Century. The original complex housed several buildings and is shown in early plans of Greenwich Park such as the ‘Pepys’ map of 1680. It was demolished in 1853 when the only known image of the cottage was taken.

Archaeological dig in Greenwich ParkThe project is managed by a team of archaeologists from the Keevill Heritage Consultancy and with help of volunteers and school children, we have the chance to unearth some of this hidden past.

Greenwich Royal Parks Manager Graham Dear said:

We know very little about the Keeper’s Cottage complex which for 200 years was the working hub of the Park.  We have already found interesting pottery and clay pipes, and volunteers have searched out tithe maps and early census records to reveal more of the park’s history’.

Keep up to date on progress of this dig on The Royal Parks website. You can also read a blog of the day we spent helping searching for the Old Keepers Cottage.

Tags: , , ,

Royal Parks Foundation on Twitter

  • Loading latest tweets...